Monday, November 22

Posted by Laurel Garver on Monday, November 22, 2010 12 comments
You might read my blog title in a Kenau Reeves way or as a reins-tugging command to Nelly. This post is a little of both.

HP 7.1
I went to a morning showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1 on Saturday, thankful that the film is popular enough for theaters to open before lunchtime. I have to say, I felt emotionally walloped by this film. In compressing the story to work on film, some of the very, very few moments of light get short shrift--Bill and Fleur's wedding, for example. What slow moments there are felt all the more oppressive and tense because of it.

I thought the Ministry of Magic sequence was one of the better adaptations--paced well and still as tense and scary as in the book. I also liked how the screenwriter handled the camping scenes with Harry, Ron and Hermione. You get the sense of their aimlessness and frustration without belaboring the point.

I was really impressed with Tom Felton's fairly cameo appearance as Draco Malfoy. He has almost no lines, but his expressions and postures shout his fear and misery. The sets and cinematography were also truly superior in this penultimate film of the series.

Friend me!
You might have noticed that late last week I added a Facebook badge to my page. I now have a page up for my writerly self, and if I haven't yet found you and sent a friend request, please take a moment to friend me--I believe you can do so through the badge. I've also registered my blog with the networked blogs widget, so feel free to follow using that widget as well. I'm happy to return the favor.

Blog un-plug
I'll be focusing on Facebook this week and unplugging from blogging.

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving, American friends (and a lovely normal week to my international friends)!

12 comments:

  1. I think you nailed your HP review - I couldn't agree more! Have a wonderful holiday, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the film!

    Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the film. It was very intense but I like that they were able to carry the tension throughout. You're so right about Malfoy! Thanks for pointing that out because I didn't really think about his performance that way, but it was spot on. Good luck as you unplug and focus on facebook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent points. I loved Draco too. I wish there had been more of him but there wasn't in the book anyway so it wasn't anything they could have done about it. But he was magical even that short time. I believed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really impressed with the three adult actors who played Ron, Hermione and Harry in the Ministry. I totally believed them. Such a good film.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to you Laurel ... even from this side of the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed that same short-shrift trend in the last two movies also. But, I did like the movies when I stopped thinking about what was actually in the books.

    I have not been able to see this movie yet, but I intend to.

    Thanks for finding me on FB. I look forward to reading your posts. I'm not around that medium often though.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon: I could have said much more, but wanted to be spoiler free. A great holiday to you too!

    Talli: Thanks! Good luck with your upcoming launch!

    Melissa: I was worried the film might drag because the book did (with a purpose, of course), but was pleased by the pacing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colene: He's proof of the old adage, "there are no small parts, only small actors." I'm sure he will rock the sequel too. Rewatching the first film, I was also impressed by Felton's acting. He's heaps better than Emma Watson in that one.

    Tricia: Excellent point. They were very believable as polyjuiced versions of our heroes.

    Dominic: Thanks!

    Donna: You have to take the books and films on their own terms, I think. What each medium does well is so different. I hope you get a chance to see HP7.1. It is one of the best of the adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the film was great, also. I really liked how they animated the tale of the 3 brothers. The end! So dramatic. The lights went up right after the sword. It will be a loooong intermission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the scene when Harry and Hermoine danced. This movie illustrated the teens friendship beautifully I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with your HP7 analysis. And yes, Tom Felton has come a long way. I thought the scenes at Malfoy manner were perfect.

    ReplyDelete