Thursday, August 30

Posted by Laurel Garver on Thursday, August 30, 2012 16 comments
I've dived into a whole lot of new things in the past few months. I joined a gym. Started a small business. Accepted a promotion at work. Got new glasses that gave me headaches for weeks. Learned to format ebooks in CSS. Joined Twitter, and more recently Goodreads.

Oh, and I am trying to put together a book launch for late September.

Some of you lovely folks have found me on Twitter, and I thank you. I hope some of you will find me on Goodreads (hint, hint). A few of you have talked me off the ledge when I thought I'd crack under the pressure of so many learning curves at once (I owe you some really killer cookies).

I've realized a few things in the midst of all this:

~No matter how much you plan, something will pop up you could never have planned for (like my hubby's nasty bike accident).

~The easy stuff often turns out to be the hard stuff.

~Stuff you thought would drive you insane might actually be fun (me, learn CSS?).

~Your friends genuinely do want you to succeed. Never be afraid to ask for their advice and help.

~Don't forget the "realizing a dream" part of the equation when you tackle new skills. It will help you stay positive even when you hit roadblocks.

~Remember that every pro was once a newbie.

I wish a happy Labor Day weekend to my American friends, and a pleasant end-of-August to those who don't have a holiday weekend.

Have you ever tried a lot of new things at the same time? How did you cope?

16 comments:

  1. One of my motto's is, "The day I stop learning something new is the day I die."

    Some things are harder than others but I don't beat myself up if I don't get it, I just go on to something else! There's SO much to know/learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great motto, Bish. To live is to be always learning!

      Delete
  2. Lots on your plate!!!

    I like to always keep busy!! I do what I can and make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention that I'm trying to do all this new stuff while my kid is home for the summer. That always makes life interesting!

      Yes, busy is better than apathetic, right?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on plunging forward!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When an avalanche is in process, you gotta keep moving or you'll be crushed. :-)

      Delete
  4. Okay, my dear, I friended you on Goodreads and retweeted you on Twitter!
    Hope your weekend is wonderful, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hat's off to you; I usually try not to do more than one new thing at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waver between moments of panic and moments of feeling empowered. I think it's been good for me to challenge myself.

      Delete
  6. "Remember that every pro was once a newbie." I think that is something even the pros forget sometimes. Excellent point, and something that ALWAYS resonates with me. I'm so happy for you that you are getting this book out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps me to remember the process of mastering other skills--you deal with the learning curve every time, but don't give up and you'll eventually be the wise mentor person. :-)

      Delete
  7. Yep, I've tried a lot of new things all at once before, and when I look back I'm amazed I managed. I spent a lot of time in prayer, and my family gave me tons of encouragement and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear a voice from the other side of too many learning curves! Yes, family support helps so much. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on all your accomplishments! You've inspired me. :) Looked you up on Goodreads and added you on Twitter too.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the connections, Karen. Twitter has not been as tough as I thought it would be. I've just begun to get my toes wet in the ocean that is Goodreads!

      Delete