Friday, May 3

Posted by Laurel Garver on Friday, May 03, 2013 4 comments
I'm over at Tyrean Martinson's blog today, explaining why fiction writers should include poetry reading in their craft-building self-education, in a post titled "Why read poetry?".

Poets have plenty to teach you about how to use words powerfully, how to employ sound and rhythm to undergird the action and emotion in your work, and how to conquer wordiness. You might be surprised to know that even genre-based magazines--romance, fantasty, SciFi, horror--often publish poems. So if form scares you off, perhaps content will make the prospect a bit more enticing.

I hope to speak more specifically about some of these things in an ongoing series "Stolen from Poets." My first post, on using vowel power to ramp up emotion, is HERE.

Are you verse averse? How might you overcome it?


4 comments:

  1. I'm a little verse averse--I've been learning about poetry for school recently and it's been making me less averse, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. The more widely you read, the better chance of finding a poet you really click with.

      Delete
  2. I feeling very inspired by all your poetry posts. This summer I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for all your encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete