Thursday, April 18

Posted by Laurel Garver on Thursday, April 18, 2013 4 comments
If you write fiction and have ever been tempted to try your hand at poetry, or you're simply curious about the diverse kinds of poetry out there, check out my guest post for fiction-in-verse author Caroline Starr Rose, "Stories that Sing: Poems with a Plot." It's part of Caroline's excellent National Poetry Month series serving up a daily dose of poetic treats.

In the post, I share a bit about the history of narrative poetry, explain how I crafted some of my own poems, and offer advice on giving this genre a go yourself.

Tales of heroes and epic love find a voice by the fire. (morguefile.com) 

If you've done any writing at all, you have raw material for poems. Fiction drafts, journal entries, childhood stories you've jotted down, the spooky tales your uncle told around the campfire--all are excellent sources for narrative poems.

What's holding you back? How might the image of campfire stories help you take the plunge?

4 comments:

  1. I loved what you shared at my place today, Laurel. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Caroline. It was great fun talking poetry with your readers.

      Delete
  2. Poetry is such an interesting art form. A poem centered around a campfire is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think poetry writing intimidates some because they don't know where to start with subject matter. Going back to the source--rollicking stories around the fire--can yield great things.

      Delete