Thursday, April 6

Posted by Laurel Garver on Thursday, April 06, 2017 13 comments
Welcome, A-Z Blogging Challenge friends. This year, my theme is Prompt-a-day, with fun or thought-provoking writing prompts to use as a story start, warm up, or creativity stretching exercise.

Envy


A time when a friend’s success soured our friendship and I had to distance myself.


Why writing prompts can be a helpful tool, no matter where you are in your writing journey: 5 Reasons to Write with Prompts.

Looking for more writing inspiration?

Check out my latest release, 1001 Evocative Prompts for Fiction Writers. It will stimulate your thinking wherever you are in your writing journey and get you writing today. It provides story starts and writing inspiration for a wide variety of genres by focusing on emotions, character development, and pivotal moments.

You can face a blank page with confidence when you use these prompts to warm up, beat writer’s block, develop and maintain a writing habit, change up your routine, start a new project, experiment in a new genre, deepen parts of an existing story, or overcome burnout.

What are you waiting for? Dig in and get writing right now!

Add it on Goodreads
e-book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Apple iTunes / KoboSmashwords
Pocket paperback (5"x 8", 114 pp.) Amazon / Barnes and NobleCreateSpace
Workbook (8"x 10", 426 pp.) Amazon / Barnes and NobleCreateSpace


Q4U: How might you spin this prompt in an unexpected direction? How about as new adult or steampunk?

13 comments:

  1. Good writing prompt. Right now, I don't want to be prompted as I have too many topics to complete - but I love you've brought out a book on the topic. Well done! Going to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley. This book has a section geared toward developing characters in existing projects (as well as new ones). And many make great writing warm ups or journaling starts.

      Delete
  2. I find the WEP hosted by Denise and Yolanda good for prompts that stretch me in directions I might not have gone otherwise. Best of sales on your book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roland. Prompts can be great imagination stretchers for sure. My collection has a lot of variety--from the relational to the fantastical. My A to Z series gives a little taste.

      Delete
  3. I'm back, Laurel! :D
    "Envy" piqued my interest.

    I could see this as an MG. It was a lot harder controlling the envy back then, and, sure, sometimes a friend or friends would catch on and relationships would sour.

    Now I'm all about my OWN journey, and there's no room for envy to pack on this trip. To each his or her own, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it takes a lot of maturity to weather envious feelings, so younger characters would struggle significantly. I agree that envy is a weight no one really wants to carry for any distance.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sounds like a very plausible way to take the prompt. Have fun with it.

      Delete
  5. Maybe after I've made it through AtoZ I'll come back and actual write some of these prompts. You've come up with some excellent story seeds! @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurel - we never know who will succeed and who will just get there by hook or by crook ... Envy is awful - join in and enjoy - cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/f-is-for-feral-goats.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and some successes are meteoric rises that reverse quickly. And success has some hidden costs that envy can blind us to--the grass that seems greener might not be.

      Delete
  7. I've been guilty of this one. I've always found something about others that I envy. Something recalled in the memoir I've been working on. See more about this at my blog:
    jannghi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete