Thursday, April 20

Posted by Laurel Garver on Thursday, April 20, 2017 12 comments
Welcome, A-Z Blogging Challenge friends. This year, my theme is Prompt-a-day, with fun or thought-provoking writing prompts to use as a story start, warm up, or creativity stretching exercise.

Questioning


A journalist seeks to uncover the whole story about some mysterious disappearances.



Think writing prompts are only for beginners? Think again. Here's how they can help writers at any level: 5 Reasons to Write with Prompts.

Love writing with prompts?

Check out my latest release, 1001 Evocative Prompts for Fiction Writers. It will stimulate your thinking wherever you are in your writing journey and get you writing today. It provides story starts and writing inspiration for a wide variety of genres by focusing on emotions, character development, and pivotal moments.

You can face a blank page with confidence when you use these prompts to warm up, beat writer’s block, develop and maintain a writing habit, change up your routine, start a new project, experiment in a new genre, deepen parts of an existing story, or overcome burnout.

What are you waiting for? Dig in and get writing right now!

Add it on Goodreads
e-book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Apple iTunes / KoboSmashwords
Pocket paperback (5"x 8", 114 pp.) Amazon / Barnes and NobleCreateSpace
Workbook (8"x 10", 426 pp.) Amazon / Barnes and NobleCreateSpace


Q4U: How might you spin this prompt in an unexpected direction? How about as urban fantasy or historical fiction?

12 comments:

  1. so it's like a quest? I guess a journalist would naturally question events that might be mysterious. perhaps he is a really a bad journalist and ends up in horrible situations where his life is threatened and he has no way of getting out of or perhaps he reveals he is really the one that is making people disappear and that he fools everyone by pretending to be dumb but he really is planning on ruling the world and enslaving everyone with his mind control abilities. or so I think...good prompt.

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my Q post - Query - ask me anything~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You have some great unexpected twists here. Have fun with it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Laurel - I think I'd get my teeth (!) stuck in and really want to find out what happened ... I guess I'd circle the main aspects and see where the pointers came out ... and then pursue! Cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/q-is-for-quirky-quizzy-facts-and-quaggas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curiosity is an occupational hazard for journalists--must get that story, the whole story!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed--could be a serial killer (suspense), foreign powers (thriller), an evil government conspiracy (dystopian), aliens (sci fi), magic or a portal to another realm (fantasy). Lots of ways to go. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. This one has endless possibilities for twists and turns. For historical fiction, a journalist working closely with a detective and asking questions about a decades-old case?
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great twist--especially if the old case involved some weird facet of the local culture everyone had forgotten. Have fun with it!

      Delete
  5. I love writing for prompts.
    And this was an amazing read. Thanks for sharing

    A Peice Of My Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Another 8 days of prompt goodness to come. Come on back for the fun.

      Delete
  6. I have resisted fiction prompts for years. The left side of brain continues to dominate my thoughts by telling me fiction is silly, stupid, a waste of time.

    But this weekend I am going to allow the right side of the brain an opportunity to come out of hibernation. I plan to start small... interviewing my fictional protagonist... but I hope this is the beginning of an extensive creative writing habit. I look forward to working through your prompts to help me build some right-brain muscle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! Glad to be even a tiny part of your new creative stretching endeavors. My collection has over 100 prompts specifically for developing characters that might be helpful to you down the road.

      Delete